Saturday, November 9, 2013

Backyard

November has come in snappy, windy splendor here in Kentucky. I'm finally feeling a bit settled into my new place. The most I've done is paint, a little plumbing, and install a sink. The list of things that need to be done is long and calls for some creative budgeting.
One of the things that drew me to this house is the land. I'm in the city and I have half an acre. When I first got here at the end of August, the back yard looked like this:

Honeysuckle vines covered most of the land. I never knew how therapeutic cutting, pulling, digging, and sawing could be. There is so much your mind works through while your limbs are of good, hard use. This is the dreaming phase, where I look at the empty beehives and see them repaired and set up in a proper bee yard. I see a shed for the bunnies. I see a place for the dye garden, flowers everywhere, a huge vegetable garden, a garden space just for feeding the bunnies and a garden for Serena. There are beds to prepare and fences to build. We have deer here and all manner of other critters that would enjoy a vegetable garden as much as I do.
But right now, this is what I am looking at:
 It's going to be harder than I thought. It's going to take some re-forming of dreams. I don't know how I am going to prepare this soil and this little area, so damaged by the honeysuckle vines. Chemicals are out...maybe goats?
In the meantime, I'll dig up what I can and look to control the rest over the next few years until it is gone. And I'll pray my soon to come garden beds aren't affected.
In the meantime, there is the lovely November light to enjoy.


Look what those darned honeysuckles have done to the trees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!