Tuesday, June 7, 2011

I woke up to this: Sleeping children

Does anything wash over you the way a peaceful sleeping child does? I have always been fascinated that no matter what the struggles and frustrations of the day, no matter how many containers of Bon Ami have been dumped on the floor,no matter how many times he's helped me "dye" by putting wool in the baby pool, no matter how many times he runs from me with his diaper a mess, no matter all that, when he is sleeping, he is an absolute angel. He is "esmo" kisses and "Mommy, hold you." He is, "Mommy, 'mon!" and "beep! baaa baaa" when he sees a picture of sheep. He is small hands grabbing my face to look at him as he enthusiastically shares another discovery. He is the constant-motion picture I want to hold still and relish just a few moments...minutes...years more. Watching my children sleep fills me with wishes for their lives and delighted wonderings about their growth. Watching a sleeping child is surely one of the pleasures of being a parent.
Maybe I should start envisioning adults as sleeping children, for surely they were at one point,and surely their mothers watched and wondered over them as well. I would certainly gain compassion!
I woke up to this during the early morning, but every moment with a child is an unfolding and awakening. How lucky I am to be able to witness and learn from it.

1 comment:

  1. You are soooo right, Angie! Wouldn't it be a better world if we could all delight in the smallest treasures as do the children.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!