Monday, April 11, 2011

Why buy

I am starting a Monday ritual on this blog..partially to help me get back into the blogging spirit, and partially to solidify some of the things I've been ruminating about as a result of reading Radical Homemakers. The idea is to keep exploring ways to reduce my consumption, change my own perceptions about what I actually do and do not need, reduce my usage of plastic, and hopefully inspire others to do the same. Because if a busy, working mother can do this, then surely anyone can. If I ask myself this simple question, "why buy?" and can besatisfied with the answer, then i am in good shape. If I can conjure up the ingenuity to do it myself, I will do that instead of buying.
Oddly enough, I'm going to start with mayonnaise. Why do I ever buy pre-made mayonnaise in the jar? Nothing compares with fresh mayonnaise and it takes so little time you won't believe it.
Step 1: Take one local organic egg and put it in your food processor. start the processing. You can also use a blender.
Step 2: Take organic canola oil, or olive oil (I just don't like olive oil mayonnaise) or any other light oil (maybe I can try to make sunflower oil? Maybe?) and drizzle it in slowly. As you do this, the mayonnaise will start to emulsify. I don't measure...I just keep going until it is the consistency I like. I am sure there are "proper" recipes on the web, but I only do "proper" when I feel like it.
Step 3: Add a tablespoon or two of lemon juice (fresh-squeezed is prefereable) and a teaspoon of salt (more if you like)
Step 4: Scoop it into a ball jar.
That's it. Once you get the hang of it, it takes about 5 minutes, or less. You can't drive to the store in that amount of time.
Now that you've made your mayonnaise, you can make a quick, impressive vegetable dip. Take a cup of mayo, 1 tbsp. onion powder, 1 tbsp. worcestershire sauce, 5 cloves of crushed garlic (or more), and 1/2 cup fresh parsley. Whirl together in a food processor, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with fresh cut vegetables.
Do leave your "why buy?" in the comments. (maybe I will actually get a comment!)

6 comments:

  1. this is so great! i don't make enough, and am quick to buy, but this gives me pause to think! i would have to say that the best thing we make, not buy, is some of our art supplies--we use only recycled paper, cardboard and the like. that's our one little gift back to the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that prior comment is by me, by the way! forgot to log out for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't typically like mayonnaise. I wonder if I would like homemade better?
    I am next on the list at the library to get Radical Homemakers. I can't wait!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the idea of making homemade mayonnaise. I have been buying a special kind at the health food store, and after reading this, I have no idea why :). This will be a project for this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this idea a lot. We really do buy very little as a family, even as far as food goes we stick to the basics and make just about everything from scratch. When we stopped being vegan we stopped buying the vegan version of mayonnaise but won't buy regular mayonnaise either, so we haven't had any in more than a year, but I really do plan to make our own some day soon. According to Nourishing Traditions if you include a couple tablespoons of whey in the recipe it will keep much longer. But you might only have the whey if you are making your own dairy products, but maybe you are doing that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OOOOOOOH! The Indigo Rabbit - LOVES IT!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!