Monday, March 14, 2011

Amateur

"Perfection is overrated, a wise friend once told me, and aiming for it is a recipe not only for frustration but for narcissism, since it keeps you focused on yourself and your own efforts at control rather than turning you outward in generous service to others and the planet. So even as I work to master the art of home economics, I hope not just to become a novice but a true amateur, a lover of what I do, even as I do it imperfectly and unprofessionally. A gentler, less anxious, more hopeful way of living rests not simply on knowledge and skill, however hard-won, but finally upon love. To be an amateur in the deepest, richer, and most life-giving sense of the word is to realize that One's home economy always unfolds with the Great Economy: a world created by God-who-is-Love, a world made to belong and be at home in as both lover and beloved."
From "A Time to Plant:Life Lessons in Work, Prayer, and Dirt" by Kyle T. Kramer
I did not actually read this book, but found this quote at the last page of the current issue of Spirituality and Health. I thought it was timely since one of my Living Crafts articles was about cleaning and is quote really spoke to me. Time to clean, time to cleanse!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. great advice Angie. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a beautiful way of looking at things! I hope you don't mind if I borrow it. It reminds me of a quote by Einstein that I read recently; I don't recall it exactly but I think it was, Do not strive to be successful, strive to be useful. (Or something along those lines).
    <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!