Monday, November 29, 2010

snapshots

We woke up to this:




There is peace in wondering at clouds...we took pause to take pictures and take in the sharp air. I have an endless fascination for clouds. I could have stood there all day and watched them. I am grateful for being there when these hung so close we could see their colors.
Awake and off to school, where Serena thrived and I struggled with one class in particular. It is the day after a break, after all, a little chaos is to be expected.
Back home after trying to balance intervention with letting them work it out, and then trying to balance the same thing at home. After school playdate for Serena. Davis is cranky...he has been sick. I nurse him. He is easily frustrated. After much wanting to be held, and being held, nursing, and complaining in a 23-month-old's way, we settled down to make soup. Chop, chop, choppity, chop, we sing, we are both soothed by this, until another wave of un-communicable toddler frustration ensues. Somehow, the soup gets made, pumpkin muffins get made, and we all eat it for dinner. Clean up, a bath, a story book read five times, and a long story for Serena while Davis nurses to sleep.
It is 7 p.m. Serena has me to herself, and takes full advantage of my newly-freed attention. I listen to her stories of the day, her wishes for christmas, writing a letter to Santa (I think I'll write an "A", she says. I explain that there is another meaning for "letter") Daddy comes home, they talk, she goes to bed.
And now, a peaceful rain is falling on our neighborhood, among the newly-hung lights. The house is quiet, my mind is not. This holiday madness is a joyful kind of stress.
Everything is bigger at Christmastime....traffic, schedules, money. Wonder, hope, love.

5 comments:

  1. your post blesses me. Your words are golden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your words are so true and so beautiful. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your beautiful blog :)
    Blessings sue x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!