Wednesday, September 29, 2010

My mom

Happy Birthday to my beautiful mother. She had a less-than-delightful childhood, but developed a characteristic wit and warmth that has endeared her to many. I encourage her to write a book about her adventures...she is a hairdresser at a nursing home and loves telling stories of the people she serves. The residents "eat her up" they love her so. And her love for them is evident too.
I am quite certain I got my sense of adventure from my mom. She is passionate, for certain. She once invented a teasing comb. I got to see the whole process from start to finish and remember visiting the plastic factory where her combs were manufactured. I don't know how she kept up with a farm, two children, and an in-home beauty shop. She was-and is-one strong woman. I hope I don't get in trouble for telling this story, but when she caught my dad cheating she went and sold all the cattle and bought a brand new 1978 red Grand Prix, white leather interior. And eventually got a new husband. I don't mean to sound flippant, because of course, it was not easy as that, and there are aching miles and crying years to the whole story. There was a lot of pain. As a mother-daughter pair, we have had our sore times to share as well.
Yet my mom has always held fast a certain grace, a willingness, a stubborn sort of love. Somehow we have always come out stronger.
So mom, I hope you know how much you inspire me, and how very much I love you. I am very blessed to have a mother like you.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. I only hope that my child has this kind of love and respect for me some day.

    Love the story about buying the car!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!