Saturday, August 21, 2010

First Day of School

Well, here she is, as of Wednesday, my new first grader.
And here is her brother already hamming it up for the camera.


And here is me, in a dress I made (a sewing post is brewing big time)
In many Waldorf schools, the first grade students are welcomed into the grades with a ceremony. Our school's is called the Rose Ceremony...the new first grade teacher tells a story, and the uppermost class (in our case, the 5th/6th grade) presents each first grader with a rose.
For me, it was a swirl of emotions. Can you imagine how powerful it is for a child to stand there with her childhood friends, the ones she has spent 3 years with in kindergarten, and before that a year in nursery, and before that a year or two in parent-child? These children, these dear, dear friends, their parents also friends of mine, will accompany her through her lower grades as well. That is indeed a treasure.
As for me, I spent my morning in Serena's classroom as an assistant, although I'm not really sure what I'm doing yet. I then taught second and first grade music. We sang and played a couple of singing games and I shared a story that came to me at 10 p.m. the night before.
All in all, a good day and I am very very happy to be back in the classroom!

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you. What a wonderful place you live to have the oppotunity of the Waldorf school. I am really concerned that my daughter's love of learning may be squashed by the lack of play in public schools now. Play and creativity kept me more interested in learning and eventually teaching school. Even at college I felt drawn to Waldorf ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhhhhh~beautiful

    you-are-so-talemted-Angela!

    Blessings-on-all-the-new-beginnings!

    Kind-regards,

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!