Friday, June 4, 2010

A Few Pictures in Words

First, let me start by complaining about my camera. It's a cheapie and it's on its way out. I am hoping the Birthday Fairies (next month) conspire and pool their resources to feed my creative soul and bring me a real camera.
Wednesday, we made a colossal trip. Out to the country, to meet a new baby...a week old! I am amazed how one forgets the sweetness of a newborn. I believe mothers forget this because being a mother requires all your powers of presence in the moment, and the sweetness of a newborn gives way to the sweetness of a toddler, gives way to the magic of a 5 year old, gives way to the strength of Nine and the anxious idealism of Fifteen. There is much to savor and so much work to do. So, you forget.
But thanks to a dear friend, I got to remember, and send loving wishes with my thoughts while holding this new babe. Although, I am a bit shy about holding new babies, because I truly believe there is not just a baby, but a motherbaby, and motherbabies are holy.
We left to go strawberry picking. I must ask, why is it that I continually overestimate how much I can possibly expect to accomplish? I had visions of picking grandeur and all the gallons I'd tote home and how I'd be up to  my ears in jam for days. Tired children and a 17 month old who wanted ot be held the whole time amounted to a respectable gallon. I bought two more gallons already picked. We then visited the small famr animal display they had there, and fed some goats and chickens.
We dreamed again of owning our own farm. Just seeing my children around those animals....what a health-giving way to live.
Serena came away with pride in her berry picking ability. She was an eager and able helper, and would not eat one strawberry! Davis, too, snubbed the strawberries, except for a few he only nibbled on. He was more interested in letting the goats lick his hand while he giggled.
We came home tired.
Our little family is a shapeshifter. So many comings and goings. All 4 children were home for awhile, and as of yesterday, one is gone to her dad's and will be sorely missed all summer. Somehow I got used to that, they had to go have their Dad time, but there is always the feeling of emptiness, something missing, no matter how busy you make yourself.
One child is back from college and is in love and is delightful to have around.
Wednesday marked the end of an era...the kindergarten era for Serena. She moves on to First Grade.
There is too much to do.
Thanks for listening, all you friends known and unknown. I think about you often and wonder about your lives.

6 comments:

  1. About the forgeting part...I can feel that. I haven't had the chance to forget it just yet b/c I'm smack dab in the middle of the mess, but I can feel a little bit here and there slipping away as my little children become less and less so each day.

    Oh...and the over-estimating how much you can get done. So very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a lovely day! Babies & strawberries, what could be better?

    I'm having a giveaway at my site. A Waldorf gnome from my new etsy store. Come and check it out if you get the chance.

    http://chocoeyes.blogspot.com/2010/05/mama-west-wind-grand-opening-giveaway.html

    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Overestimate? yes, but days like that are the sweetest memories.
    Sounds like you had a great time

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this post. love, love, love the motherbaby. so lovely---you capture something so tender and strong and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you about motherbaby. I used to want to hold the newborns all the time, but now I don't even ask. I don't want to interrupt that bonding time. Where did you pick strawberries? I've been looking for a place in Louisville other than over the river and can't find one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!