Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Trouble with Motherhood

I thought this article was brilliant. I tend to gravitate toward the blogs that paint a rosy picture of parenting, end up feeling inadequate and insecure, swear off such blogs, only to come right back for more. (I have a post brewing about this....it's all about balancing beauty). To see this reminder that play is important for parents, too, is so helpful. We all have struggles. Isn't it nice to have a little help on the journey?
The Trouble with Motherhood

Posted using ShareThis

3 comments:

  1. I initially wrote that happiness is overrated ...and then thought it was too dismissive of the other issues this article sparks. I think it might sometimes be called The Yoke of Motherhood yet it is the most satisfying and growthful experience of my life. I honestly cannot imagine childlessness being prefered to parenthood despite the challenges. My children have taken me to places I never imagined and motherhood connects me to the human race going back, going forward. I really wonder about the notion of happiness. Are we harmony addicted? Is it the Luciferic impulse for bliss that even poses the question? Life is hard and life is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa, you have touched on exactly some of my concerns. Yes, there is beauty in the struggle...I do see so much harmony addiction and also an unrealistic perfectionism (Lucifer) perpetuated among mothers....that is where rigid Ahriman comes in.
    We need more people to LIVE their humanity and find meaning in it, rather than pursue these impossible ideals. Love...love...love.
    I, too agree with the path of motherhood being the preferred way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah, I agree with you about her ideas...I find them a bit "mainstream", but that is not all bad, of course!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!