Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Three Ingredients

(Before I begin, I want to express my gratitude to those of you who are participating in my little poetry project. Anything one sets out to create, especially within the format of a group, becomes what it is supposed to become without any further direction from its originator. What an absolutely beautiful process.)
I am a cookie monster. I am. There, I've said it.
I make cookies when I am stressed. I make cookies when I am not. I make cookies out of habit. I just make cookies. There is nothing more therapeutic for me than throwing a bunch of different ingredients in a bowl, seeing how healthy I can make them, and then baking them. Always a surprise. No recipes...just me, walking the tightrope of baking without a net. Thrill-chasing, really.
Anyway, I have stumbled upon a few combinations that are actually pretty good, so I thought I would sharea couple of them here. Only a couple because I can't remember all of them. The little challenge I give myself is to only use 3 ingredients, in the spirit of simplicity.
I give you:
Almond cookies
Put in a food processor: a couple handfuls of almonds, some oats OR rice flour. Pulse until it is crumbly. Drizzle in barley malt syrup, stir by hand or keep the processor running, until it looks like cookie dough.
Drop by spoonfuls and bake at 350 but watch them because barley malt causes quick burning.
Sunny Honey Cookies (I've posted these before)
honey, sunflower seeds pureed to a nice butter, oats or oat flour added until you have a cookie dough.
Actually, you could put in any nut, a sweetener, and a flour. Or chocolate instead of flour. Or make it 4 ingredients and add spices.
Cooking for stress....when I was working full time, (I'm part time now, technically speaking) I would come home after a long day and often the first thing I would do after all the reunitings was chop vegetables. We are a very Moosewood-inspired family and start most meals with onions and garlic sauteeing in a pan.
With a baby who is relentlessly exploring and needing me right now, it is difficult to find time to center and quiet myself around a chopping board. Cookies are easier.
Good thing he likes cookies too!

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to come and say a quick hello to you too!
    I make cookies all the time, but mostly cause Jason makes me, he gets too hungry at night. I was thinking I should give you my peanut butter cookie recipe, it's surprisingly similar to your almond cookie recipe.
    Hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a cookie monster too, but my cookies are decidedly not healthy. I like your idea of using a nut or seed, sweetener and flour. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!