Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Power of Metaphor

Metaphor serves as a wonderful tool for parenting. Through giving ourselves word pictures, we can parent from a creative, meaningful place. I am always trying to find pictures for myself to "live" into, and the pictures that come to me can help with observing my children, and also my self-observation. I love being ableto give myself a positive, realistic picture when I am struggling with a parenting issue. Or any relationship issue, really. The power of metaphor is the power of story itself, and speaks to parts of us that direct words cannot reach. If it is helpful for me, surely it would be helpful for others, and hence, the invitation went out to those who read this blog, or whose lives have touched mine somehow in the virtual sphere.
I so deeply appreciate those who chose to participate in this project...any art you do like this can feel vulnerable. Thank you, thank you! Gratitude for the inspiration...
 Without further adieu, here is the beautiful poem:

I am the nourishing earth in which you, the acorn, are beginning to show signs of becoming a great being.



I am the supple Aspen tree, rooted in the earth, swaying gracefully through even the strongest of winds. My leaves dance and shimmer with the laughing caress of a breeze; my strong branches reach for the sky and support you...climbing ever higher.


I am the elephant. My children have a hold of my tail and I am slowly leading them along.

I am a mother bear, soft and beckoning, strong and fierce, a warm place for cubs to snuggle into.

I am a tour guide in your life, leading you to the opening crack of a new book, the surprise of finding a fossil, the bliss of feeling the wind in your hair. Taking you behind the scenes of our family relationships, exploring the world with you and widening your circle of understanding.



I am a lioness, roaring lonely, painful cries through the African Savannah. I am a lioness, roaring to protect her young from predators.


I am the river flowing on a some times peaceful and some times chaotic journey through life/motherhood.


We ride the waves together, feel the breeze blow through each of us, soak up rays of sunshine over all of us, we grow together.


Let me be your prism... shine your bright white light...see paths of many colors... all of them bright. You have chosen your journey and you are the light.

Various contributors, 2/2010

*****update***** I have added this as a page. If you would like to contribute, jump right in! Go to the page above and follow the directions. No pretenses here, you don't have to be an expert wordsmith....quite the contrary! Your voice is welcome!
Maybe others will feel inspired to contribute, and the poem will change. Maybe it will stand as it is now. Either way is fine :) Warmly, Angie

3 comments:

  1. I really like how this is coming along and that you put a link up so others can add to it along the way. Neat idea, so very beautiful that all these mamas made a poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!