Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Easy Recipe

This has become one of our favorite recipes around here.
Most weeks start with a pot of beans soaking and a pot of rice cooking, and our meals are centered around or accessorized by those staples.

Black Bean Soup
Black beans, soaked and cooked
A jar of your favorite organic salsa
Red pepper, carrots, onion, or other vegetables you might have.
A generous tablespoon or two of South River miso (Red Pepper/Garlic works great)
Saute the onions, red peppers, and carrots until just undercooked.
Combine the beans, vegetables, and salsa, adding water as needed. Simmer for about 20 minutes. At the end of the heating, add in the miso. It helps if the miso is thinned in a little water, but you can stir it into the soup as well. Salt and pepper to taste.
That's it! It's  incredibly delicious.
Go here for a good cornbread recipe to serve with it. My mamaw made cornbread like that, only our cornbread was not sweet. She just used Martha White self-rising cornmeal, bacon grease, and buttermilk, sometimes onions, and baked it in an incredibly seasoned, greasy iron skillet. Yum.
As a vegetarian, I don't think my iron skillets are going to be seasoned quite like hers was, or my mother's are.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe. We cook a lot of beans here. We like to bake cornbread too.
    I have been meaning to tell you.. I am knitting your little lamb. Though I call it brown sheep. Cause it is brown, (apparently I don't know yet if it is a boy or a girl), and really I did not want it to be brown, but I sadly have no natural yarn. But happily knitting your little lamb! Thanks so much. (And sorry that I am likely too late to be much help as far as pattern testing goes...) I love the poem too and will be sharing it with the girls once spring arrives!
    Hope you are very well Angela!
    Lots of love, Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh awesome Renee! Thanks so much...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!