Thursday, August 6, 2009

Rose Colors

I apparently acquired a new reader to my blog the other day: my husband. I have seen my blog as a shy little flower, growing quietly in the shade of much bigger flowers in a small, remote part of the garden. She still doesn't know what kind of flower she wants to be. But anyway, the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "who is this French guy?" He was referring to my post on poetry. I tried to explain to him that it was an ANALOGY. You know, interests as lovers. Having too many plates to spin, etc. etc. He still laughed at me AND my poem(good-naturedly). He just never got it. Probably no one else did either. And that's okay!
It got me thinking about the creative process AGAIN. I am always thinking about the creative process and observing myself in it. This year, my theme has been death in creativity, which is really my way of saying, "There's room for bad poetry!" "Frog that knitting project!" "Scribble all over that drawing!!!" "Write 'it's' every time you are supposed to write 'its'"!!
And there is room for it all! How do we grow without taking risks?
Now, here is where I take issue with society at large. Society seems so focused on its own ideals of beauty and mothering and perfection and who wants to read about your bad days and mistakes you made and all that anyway?
Well, I do, for one. I love reading people's journeys through their blogs, and there are some really beautifully honest women putting it all out there. Wonderful!
Now, go scribble like a 6-year-old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!