Monday, July 13, 2009

Can we talk food?

Summer, glorious summer, and the bounty of the Goddess. The height of fullness and generosity. At the health food store, they were out of tahini, so I bought sesame seeds, brought them home, and put them in the Cuisinart for a LONG time. A little sesame oil and voila', I had tahini.
Now, I did make hummus with some of the tahini and the rest of it was mixed with local honey and will definitely be a staple in our home. Today I used it for apple dip (we love dipping around here) and then put it on top of panang curry. Speaking of the panang curry, it is just a bunch of vegetables cut up (all local: yellow squash, potatoes, zucchini, onions, eggplant, garlic, and even basil), one can of coconut milk, a dollop of panang curry paste (available at Asian groceries) and simmer away. Serve over brown rice. I served mine over brown rice with the tahini-honey mixture. Mmmmm. It reminded me of the Buddha Bowl I had in Asheville at The Laughing Seed.
I turned 41 on Saturday and had a hankering for ice cream. Instead, I ordered a book on making vegan ice cream from Amazon. I will be making ice cream soon. I'm stretching it out into a birth month since I'm so fashionably slow.
I also want to make crackers and jam.
Alas, no pictures. I have to go buy batteries. We got back from vacation and I cannot, for the life of me, find the battery recharger or its accompanying batteries.

4 comments:

  1. First off ~ Happy Birthday Moon!!! Secondly, my mouth is watering with the description of your panang. And the tahini/honey...if left in the fridge would it turn into a halva like treat? Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy B-day!! You just gave me an idea on what to do with all that zucchini and squash coming out of our garden. All that sounds yum! My relationship with food is a joyful one these days. It makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I am so wishing I was eating at YOUR house after this. Oh and of course happy happy vegan ice cream eating birthday to you dear lovely lady. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!