Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Doll wonderings part two

Well, I still am holding questions about Waldorf dolls, and am feeling joyful about the process. Joyful because dolls are such a wonderful subject...such an art form...and to ponder them and deepen my personal paradigms about them feels good. More questions, or rather, observations came of wondering about the dolls I/we surround our children with. I wonder about their inner relationship with a doll or any toy, and of course, the idea behind making them simple and unformed is to allow a child's inner, imaginary participation in "making" the doll. Steiner wrote about a handkerchief with ink spots for eyes sufficing as a doll. Looking at dolls in history, that is closer to what they were...no cartoon images, no hardened features.
Another point I'd like to make is that there is a certain "branding", if you will, to modern Waldorf dolls. I LOVE them, love making them, think they are beautiful. But you can always tell a Waldorf doll is a Waldorf doll, just like you can tell a Barbie doll or a Cabbage Patch baby. I wonder about this...why is that the "right" doll and not, for example, a simpler, more Amish-looking doll (which are completely faceless)? Perhaps that is simply what is in vogue, and there is an element of status and materialism there.
So, maybe what is being hindered in seeing baby dolls that leave nothing to the imagination is the capacity for invention in play....a depth of inner participation....a richness to the play. I talked to a friend about this and she believes in this modern world, this capacity for invention is especially at risk, and that goes right along with current educational paradigms. All along, we are taught that wisdom come from without, not within. We have everything provided for us, we simply need to memorize it...no inner work necessary, really. I digress.
I do watch my daughter care for and dress her very large plastic-headed, realistic-looking baby just as she sees me care for and dress her baby brother, so that is good...the imitation is wonderful and rewarding to see.
Ohhhh, I love being on a path of growth and questioning. One book on ADD I read called for "compassionate curiosity". On good days, my curiosity is compassionate.
Anyway, I am just rambling on here. Which is why I have a blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!