Monday, December 8, 2008

Silk gift idea

You are going to have to use your imagination for this blog, a LOT, because my camera only cost $80 and it doesn't take close-ups. And the great lighting is in my bathroom.
But trust me, even without my passion for children's art, these are beautiful. It is the same swath of silk that Serena water-colored, cut into pieces, and I then used Mod-Podge to secure them to very small canvases, gathered from here. The canvases were less than $2 each.
Why glue silk to a canvas? Because of the transparency of the colors. I could have her paint directly on canvas with opaque paints, but watercolor on silk is so beautiful.
I recommend using the wet-on-wet watercolor technique (just wet the silk first). Have your child paint to their heart's content, let the silk painting dry, and if you aren't already attached to it, cut it into pieces that fit the canvases. I also recommend the matte Mod-Podge, and smooth out the bubbles as you glue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!