Thursday, November 20, 2008

Rhythm

This time of year, we are living in the great, swinging rhythm of the seasons. In my work with parents, rhythm is applied as a tool to help regulate yourself and your child. Rhythm is breath and breathing. We all need times of quiet...death...stillness...incubation...like a bulb under the earth. Sometimes these periods last longer than expected or longer than is comfortable. Then, we experience the times of growth and productivity, life and light, activity and movement. Having children around helps remind us of the importance of daily rhythm so we can work through the larger breaths life gives us.
Our modern world is anti-rhythm. Not only is an unnatural work ethic practiced, but even when we are not working for money, we are always on the run or in the car or on the phone, or at least feel that we have to be doing something.
For me, finding joy has been finding rhythm...allowing myself to alternate periods of activity with periods of rest and introspection. Were any of us ever taught to do this unless we lived on a farm and HAD to? It feels good to set this example for my children. We can come together instead of being on the go. I remind myself especially about keeping the steady heartbeat of daily life during the holidays. With so much to do, it can become a challenge to really "breathe" and enjoy the blessings of these seasons. Yet, that is exactly what we need to do.
So, in celebration of breathing and rhythm and taking time out, I am starting a "Month of Ornaments" project. Over the years, one of the things my family has enjoyed is making ornaments for our holiday tree. Most will be tried-and-true, sort of trite, and some will be inventive and creative. Hopefully all will inspire those who read this blog to find the quiet time to create. But don't let me throw you off rhythm...no pressure!
Look for the beginning this weekend.

2 comments:

  1. hello, this post really resonates with my thinking ... gardening and creating art and crafts are my ways to do this, as well as sitting by the ocean to reset my inner rhythm when life starts feeling hectic...
    my family makes things together and separately, and we are so grateful for this calming time.
    thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, today was one of those days when i could feel ok about just slowing down and not rushing about trying to accomplish some THING. Living on the farm now through the cycle of one year and am finally getting to experience the rhythm of the seasons again. I had lost the comfort of winter for a long time. It's time to snuggle into it again. consciously.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!